Thursday, January 27, 2011

A little bit about me & the lessons...

Many people ask, what is your teaching style? What is a lesson like? The second questions is easier to answer than the first. The best way to find out how you fit with a voice teacher is to meet with them in person and ask them questions, or try a sample lesson. You can also observe a lesson that I teach someone else. But it takes time for a student and teacher to get to know and understand one another!

A little bit about my personality: I am passionate, creative, and full of energy. I am a people person, relational, flexible, and with a good sense of humor. At the same time, however, I push you to your potential and I will not accept mediocrity.

I am passionate about helping each student to find their true voice and develop it to be as beautiful, honest and healthy as possible. When we first meet, I find out where you are at - your hopes for lessons, your musical goals/dreams. I want each student to be really happy with what they are receiving from me and so from time to time, we review how the lessons are going and if there are new goals that you hope to accomplish. I hope for lessons to be a time to work, but also a time to experience joy.

As I get to know your voice, I make goals for each lesson -something I hope we can work on/accomplish. The lessons are broken into 2 sections; the 1st half is technique, including breathing and vocal exercises that I choose for each individual student to help grow her vocally and to overcome problem/weak areas. The 2nd half of the lesson is singing; learning and preparing a variety of repertoire for performance. (I accompany on piano) This gives you the opportunity to put what you are learning into practice. I encourage learning a variety of styles of music, but teach a very solid technique that will help you to become a more powerful and effective performer. Besides the whole technical and musical aspect, I help students learn how to really spend time with the text and express themselves in an authentic way, vocally and expressively. That is so important! This is what will impact ourselves and others as they hear us.

I offer chances for my students to perform in recitals throughout the year. This is not meant to be an intimidating experience, but rather an opportunity to share what is in you with others. There are student recitals - where you perform for one another, in a mutually supportive and low-key environment, as well as recitals where you can invite friends and family to come and hear you. There is nothing like having a performance date on the calendar to push you to a whole new level!

I have a Master's (and Bachelor's) Degree in Classical Vocal performance and I relish singing this type of music, however, I am unique in that I have had a great deal of experience performing contemporary, pop, gospel and even some Broadway music. I use my solid technique and strong communication skills, but can easily adjust my style of singing to suit the piece and I know how to teach others to do the same. It is a joy to pass on the wealth I have learned to others, to see the excitement and confidence that accompanies growth, and to see people find their true voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment